Some surfing of the Internet this morning helped me discover the problem was, apparently, a software update overnight blast to the receivers that didn't quite work as planned for some customers.
DirecTV has since responded using their own Twitter account with this simple advice:
HDDVR customers: If your HDDVR will NOT power on, unplug the unit from the wall, wait 15sec, then replug, & repeat 1x to restore service.
(If you have a DirecTV DVR and can verify this worked for you, please comment below.)
Using the above software glitch as a case-study, there are some things you might try before any service call:
- First off, don't panic. Often you can make matters MUCH worse... we've all torn apart the home entertainment system or ripped apart our computer to discover it was a cable that fell out of the wall, or another simple fix. Take a deep breath, relax, analyze the problem systematically and don't add to your problems.
- Power cycle everything. Sure, your monitor might appear to be working just fine and your lamp doesn't *appear* to be having troubles, but sometimes it's best to take a few extra seconds to disconnect power (unplug it from the wall socket or power strip completely) from the electronic gizmo causing grief, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
- Check for loose cables.
- Are others having the same issue? (Ask around your office, check online (do a Twitter search), call a buddy)
- Gather the necessary information before calling tech support (account numbers, serial numbers, exact description of the problem, what you've tried previously)
- Be patient. They may walk you through the exact same things you've already tried-- but remember they're trying to help. It will take a few extra minutes, but best to try again and be confident.
- Disclaimer: The above tips are general suggestions only and not meant to replace your hard-working IT staff and the manufacturer's own recommendations. Actual mileage may vary
And now, just in time for World Cup Soccer, your DVR is back up and running! Right?
For more on this and other tech stories, tune to Newsradio 750 KXL (750 AM in Portland, OR and online at KXL.com) each Friday morning at 6:20am & 8:20am.